Date: March 4, 1998 2 pages
To: Regional Executives
John D. Buffington, USGS Biological Resources Division 206-220-4624
Mike Collopy, USGS Biological Resources Division 541-750-7329
Ken Feigner, Environmental Protection Agency 206-553-6984
Thomas Mills, Pacific Northwest Station, Forest Service 503-808-2130
Thomas Murphy, Environmental Protection Agency, ERL 541-754-4614
Stan M. Speaks, Bureau of Indian Affairs 503-231-2201
Michael J. Spear, U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service 503-872-2716
Thomas Dwyer, U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service 503-872-2716
William Stelle, Jr., National Marine Fisheries Service 206-526-6426
Elizabeth Gaar, National Marine Fisheries Service 503-231-2376
William C. Walters, National Park Service 206-220-4159
Robert W. Williams, Forest Service 503-808-2210
Elaine Y. Zielinski, Bureau of Land Management 503-952-6390
From: Donald R. Knowles, Executive Director
Subject: March 3 Regional Federal Executive Meeting Notes
Northwest Forest Plan MOU Update: Mike Crouse gave a status report on the NFP MOU Work Group's progress drafting revised MOU sections for Jim Pipkin. Mike described the proposal from
Francie Sullivan and Mark Stanley (California resource agency and county representatives to IAC) to form a California RIEC and IAC to ensure full involvement by the governments (Federal and
non-Federal) in California. Greg Blomstrom (California Tribal representative to IAC) opposed this proposal at the last work group meeting. Mark, Francie, and Greg have agreed to collaborate on a
revised California proposal for Jim's consideration in revising the MOU.
Jim will present the proposed revised NFP MOU and his draft report at the April 7 regional federal executive meeting. At that time the federal executives will discuss how best to involve the IAC. Jim
expects to make a presentation at the May IAC meeting, pending this discussion.
Presentation on the Draft Proposal Concerning Oregon Forest Practices: Rick Applegate presented the NMFS draft proposal to the regional executives. This was an excellent example of
information sharing of a topic that affects us all. There were questions about watershed analysis (and interest in science team recommendations of how to improve the process), especially how it relates
to the eastside basin assessments (as a model), and other related initiatives; how the proposed riparian management zones and other default values in the proposal could be adequate to attain properly
functioning conditions, in light of the NFP's more restrictive requirements; and how various coastal waterfowl and estuarine wetland initiatives could benefit coho.
Federal Regional Executives 2
Discuss the need/strategy for a coordinated federal agency response to the ForestWater Alliance: The group agreed that it was appropriate to prepare a joint interagency response to the
ForestWater Alliance letter and report sent to the IAC and each regional executive criticizing the NFP. There have been several negative articles in the Oregonian suggesting that the NFP is not being
implemented properly, and that as a result, salmon and water quality are not being protected. Also, the National Audubon Society is featuring the report in an upcoming article that promises to be very
critical of the NFP.
The regional executives (BLM, FS, FWS, and EPA) agreed to assign a Public Affairs staff person (Ken will check to see if Laurie Hennessey, EPA, is available to lead this effort) to outline a response
to the ForestWater Alliance report. The outline would be sent to the REO for fleshing out with a memo and OP/ED piece for the Oregonian drafted by the REO for regional executive signature (BLM,
FS, NMFS, FWS, [epa?].
Update on the State of Oregon--State of the Environment Report: Don Knowles reported on a visit to the REO by Craig Shinn, Portland State University, who was following up on his presentation
to the IAC on the proposal by the Oregon Progress Board to prepare an Oregon "State of the Environment" report. In addition to $70K in federal funding, Craig was requesting a point of contact name
from each agency for data acquisition.
Forest Service Chief, Mike Dombeck's Agency Agenda: Bob Williams shared copies of the Chief Dombeck's March 2 speech.
The next Regional Federal Executive meeting is scheduled on April 7 from 9-12 in the REO Conference Room. If you would like to join us by conference call, dial in to 503-808-2727. I expect to
spend the majority of our time with Jim Pipkin, discussing the proposed draft revised NFP MOU and his draft report.
Mike Crouse (FAX: 952-6021)
Rick Applegate (FAX: 230-5435)